Subject: Re: Shorter help message?
From: Michael Meshew <[email-masked]>
To: Justin Barrett <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 17:36:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Feb 1995, Justin Barrett wrote:

> 
> I noticed the response to the plea made by Ted Stethem, and gathered some
> valuable information from it.  I'd like to pose a similar question, but
> from a very different viewpoint.
> 
> I, too, would like to start doing freelance animations w/ Lightwave.  My
> problem is that I am 23, with a minimal part-time job, and no patience! 
> My only access to Lightwave has been through our local college's Video
> Production class.  I've gained A LOT just from the 6 months or so I've
> been using LW, and to put it simply, I'm HOOKED on animation!  (This is
> where the impatience kicks in.....)
> 
> I WANT TO ANIMATE!  BIG TIME!  My only stumbling block is FINANCES.  I've
> not yet been able to grow past my seven-year-old A500 for that very
> reason.  What little growth I *have* been able to do has barely kept me up
> with "the pack", and I'm still missing some essential items, like a hard
> drive, a decent monitor, and ample RAM.
> 
> I hope this doesn't sound like one big complaint.  It's more of a plea for
> suggestions and counsel.  What can I do?  Where do I start?  Where can I
> get the $$$ to do it?
> 
>  * Q-Blue 1.0 *
> 
    I started out with Deluxe Paint creating simple flying logos for 
clients. From there I eventually purchased Deluxe Paint 4 & with its 
morphing capabilities created some Flying logos that no one had ever seen 
before. Take some art classes, even at community colleges. Besides the 
knowledge you gain, you can establish valuable contacts with 
students & instructors.

   Start a users group for Lightwave or just computer art in general. Do 
not be intimidated if you feel you do not know enough. After working with 
the members, you will pick up a lot, besides the valuable contacts. When 
I started our Toaster user group, I arranged to have our meetings at a 
different studio each meeting. Not only did the members enjoy seeing how 
other people worked, but it got me into all of the studios I most likely 
never would have had to opportunity to see!

   Network, Network, Network!

   Most important, always keep your word! If you establish a reputation 
for always keeping your committments you will elevate yourself above the 
others.

   With an Amiga 500 & Deluxe Paint & a halfway decent genlock, you can 
start to do basic titling jobs for small time clients. This should help 
get you to where you can afford Lightwave.

   I hope this helps, I'm sure that there are many others out there that 
started with very little. Email me if you want more details.

Michael